In Limbo

Decisions need to be made.  We want desperately to move out of our current apartment; it is just not a good fit for our family.  We’ve hated it from the beginning and always said we’d get out at the first opportunity.  Unfortunately, Joe is working 9 hour days with a long commute until September or so.  Jack is asleep most nights by the time he gets home.  If we were to move south, closer to my place of work, it would be further from his and the long days are already getting to him.  All of the affordable house rentals are close to my work, though, unless we find a private renter (which, of course, is difficult as they are private!).  Craigslist in our area is useless.  I don’t want another crappy college-kid apartment.

To further complicate matters, we have no idea what we’ll be doing in 6 months.  Like I said, Joe is only working until September since he is a seasonal employee.  If we stay in the area, chances are good that he would work the same position again next summer.  BUT we don’t want to commit to a year long lease and then have to move if Joe gets a job out of the area.

We thought we would just stay put until he found a permanent job, but since we need to look for a new daycare (our fifth in a year!) anyway…I don’t know.  We’re at a loss.  I am generally not one to sit and contemplate.  I am a decision maker!  I take action!  I have no idea what to do right now.

I want something stable for us, but mostly for Jack.  I hate the fact that he’s moved daycares so many times in his short life.  I had hoped we could find ONE place for the majority of his growing years.  I still hold hope that such a situation is possible…I just don’t know how to go about finding it.

If you enjoyed this post, consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the RSS feed to have future articles delivered to your feed reader.

Comments

  1. It’s hard to make these kinds of decisions. I can totally relate.

  2. It’s hard to make these kinds of decisions. I can totally relate.

  3. well, naturally J and I want you back in the Bay Area…

    i think the best way to make this decision is to ask yourself what would make you/Joe happiest or most satisfied? Joe could work at the same place again next year, but there’s also the change that he could get a position somewhere down here if he were here. (funny how that works…)

    job situation aside, where do you want to live? do you like living in arcata or would you prefer to live in the SF Bay?

    happy parents make a happy baby and although jack’s been though several different places, he seems none the worse for wear. if fact, it could be beneficial for him– he’s meeting lots of different people and learning to adapt to different situations. he’s a happy, healthy, and well cared for child, so you’re not hurting him on that issue, i think.

  4. well, naturally J and I want you back in the Bay Area…

    i think the best way to make this decision is to ask yourself what would make you/Joe happiest or most satisfied? Joe could work at the same place again next year, but there’s also the change that he could get a position somewhere down here if he were here. (funny how that works…)

    job situation aside, where do you want to live? do you like living in arcata or would you prefer to live in the SF Bay?

    happy parents make a happy baby and although jack’s been though several different places, he seems none the worse for wear. if fact, it could be beneficial for him– he’s meeting lots of different people and learning to adapt to different situations. he’s a happy, healthy, and well cared for child, so you’re not hurting him on that issue, i think.

  5. Limbo blows. It’s painful to not know where you’re going.

    How many applications does Joe have out there right now? I wouldn’t make any major decisions until you have the final word from all of them. For the same reason you don’t want to take on a year long lease in Arcata you wouldn’t want to make a major move only to find out that he got a job in a different location (even within the big Bay Area location could be an issue, commute wise).

    I wouldn’t worry about the effect on Jack. He has you guys for stability. You guys are doing a great job.

  6. Limbo blows. It’s painful to not know where you’re going.

    How many applications does Joe have out there right now? I wouldn’t make any major decisions until you have the final word from all of them. For the same reason you don’t want to take on a year long lease in Arcata you wouldn’t want to make a major move only to find out that he got a job in a different location (even within the big Bay Area location could be an issue, commute wise).

    I wouldn’t worry about the effect on Jack. He has you guys for stability. You guys are doing a great job.

  7. sbr – we would definitely love to be back in the bay area. We could probably be happy here if the situation was perfect, but we could be happy in the bay area even if the situation wasn’t perfect. So, uh, yeah. I dunno.

    Beth – he only has one out there that he hasn’t heard back from (the Olympia one). It’s been three weeks since he applied, and he is supposed to hear back within 30 days (so we should know in a week whether he gets an interview)…

    Thanks everyone!

  8. sbr – we would definitely love to be back in the bay area. We could probably be happy here if the situation was perfect, but we could be happy in the bay area even if the situation wasn’t perfect. So, uh, yeah. I dunno.

    Beth – he only has one out there that he hasn’t heard back from (the Olympia one). It’s been three weeks since he applied, and he is supposed to hear back within 30 days (so we should know in a week whether he gets an interview)…

    Thanks everyone!

Speak Your Mind

*