Adventures in babysitting

I suppose I should offer more details on the daycare debacle. Anna left a voicemail for me at 8:15pm (while I was putting Jack to bed) last night. She said very little – only that she could not care for Jack anymore, couldn’t meet his needs, and asked me to call her so we could arrange a time for me to pick up his diaper bag. I was too angry last night to call her back, too angry to discuss a time to pick up Jack’s stuff when she had just left me with very little time to arrange for alternate care for my son. I just couldn’t believe this was happening to us again!

I spoke to my mom and she helped put things into perspective for me. Of course I don’t want Jack to be in a place where he is not getting the attention he needs. And when I told her about the brief conversation I had with Anna when I picked Jack up, things became even clearer. Jack has been hoarse the last couple of days and at first I thought it was related to teething. I mentioned it to Anna in casual conversation, pondering aloud whether I should take him to the doctor in case he is coming down with something. She responded by saying, “Oh, I thought it was from crying.” I told her that I didn’t think so, since he hasn’t cried much at home, certainly not enough to make him hoarse. She didn’t respond and I headed home shortly thereafter. Of course, looking back on this now and after discussing it with my mom (and going over a few other things that I have observed but not given much thought to previously), it’s clear that he has been crying while in her care, crying so much that he is now hoarse. And this has been going on for days and she never mentioned it at all. My mom pointed out that our conversation probably made her feel guilty and she decided to quit. Who knows.

So, there you have it. I feel pretty stupid now for not taking action sooner on a few things here and there that I noticed, but it was hard to know whether I was truly picking up on something amiss or just being a paranoid mama.

Today I called Anna and she did not answer. I left a message telling her I could come by after work to pick Jack’s stuff up, and saying she could leave it on the porch if she wasn’t going to be around. I also asked for an explanation of what the problem was and asked her to please call me back to let me know and confirm whether I could come by after work. Apparently she didn’t have the nerve to talk to me because I received no call back and when I drove by after work and saw the diaper bag on the porch, she was nowhere to be found. Here is the explanation I got:

This explains nothing to me, although it seems to confirm my mom’s suspicions. It really pisses me off that she didn’t mention the crying, and it drives me nuts that she was too much of a coward to actually talk to me so that I might have some idea of WHY my son was crying. Now all I have to pass on to the next provider is the information that two caregivers have quit on me, one because her marriage went down the tubes and the other because my son’s crying apparently drove her to unstable mental health. Fantastic.

I’m focusing on the positives right now. I’m hoping Jack will get better care the next time around, especially now that I am a bit more savvy about these things. We recently got a postcard from the Humboldt Childcare Council notifying us that we can enroll to receive free childcare. This is good! Hopefully we can actually find a provider!

And here is a picture of my adorable son, who apparently morphs into Mr. Hyde when his parents aren’t around.

One thought on “Adventures in babysitting”

  1. I know this was months ago – but what a crock. Blaming PPD on a baby crying? Puh-leeze.

    The only time my baby cried himself hoarse was when we drove cross country and he was alone in the back of the car … and there’s only so many times you can stop… sigh.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.